A few weeks ago my blog turned 4! Four whole years of teaching myself to cook and building my confidence in the kitchen. Over the course of almost 200 recipes I’ve built a battery of weeknight dishes, learned how to prepare healthy lunches for the week, experimented with the instant pot, and become more and more comfortable cooking fish.
More importantly I’ve used this platform as a place to reflect. After long days at work I’ve come home to the kitchen and then to the keyboard where I’ve reverently documented memories of each of my grandmothers, my mother, our puppy Toby, and traditions from my childhood table.
With maternity leave ending and my return to work, my energy at the end of the day has waned a bit, but I’m working to find some new momentum! Stay tuned for more meal memories and some new experiments as the little guy begins solid foods.
This dish came together in the crock pot – which has been used more since L was born. Chicken, sweet potato, a jalapeno, dried lentils, red onion, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and a bunch of spices all cook in the crock pot for 4 hours on high. Then you gently pull the chicken with two forks, and serve with your favorite chili toppings such as avocado, greek yogurt, and shredded cheese. This is a great dish for using up ingredients that are leftover from holiday cooking, but most importantly was another helpful step in the endeavor of using our excessive supply of paprika.
Crock Pot Chicken and Lentil Stew
This protein packed delicious stew reminds me of a chili and is perfect for a chilly winter afternoon. It also works well for make ahead lunch meal prep.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast (apx two large)
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 1 sweet potato – cut into cubes
- 1 jalapeno – diced
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups reduced fat chicken broth
- 1 red onion – chopped (apx 2 cups)
- 5 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 2.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 avocado
- Plain Greek yogurt (optional)
Steps & Notes
- Dice, chop, and mince the veggies (sweet potato, jalapeno, onion, garlic)
- Add the tomatoes to the crock pot, then the raw chicken, then all of the veggies, lentils and spices
- Then add the chicken broth and ensure all is covered
- Cover and cook in the crock pot on high for 4 hours
- When done, open and remove the chicken. Shred with a fork
Recipe from The Pantry Portfolio @ http://www.pantryportfolio.com
Winner, winner! 😋🌿
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ve pinned this one, how perfect for a busy family.
LikeLiked by 1 person