This here blog – my little corner of the world wide web – turns 2 today!
While many celebrate birthdays with cake, I’ve decided to treat my savory loving self by cooking Ina Garten’s Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon. I’ve prepared her recipe here as written (only swapping pancetta for bacon) because why alter a classic. This dish is SO versatile and SO easy to make. The sprouts and bacon can be cut ahead of time and then thrown into a 400 degree oven together on one sheet pan. The extra leaves that fall off of the sprouts create crunchy little chips that you won’t be able to help but snag and the thick balsamic drizzle brings the whole dish together. This wasn’t my intention but this is actually a perfect Thanksgiving side dish that you can throw in during that window when the turkey comes out and gravy is being made.
Two years ago I had very little confidence in the kitchen and I’d get tremendously anxious when I was serving food to others. Now, over 120 recipes and experiments later, I’ve found more confidence, more creativity, and a world of new cuisine! Not everything has been a success – as evidenced by my recent frittata that I noted “looked like a convertible but tasted like a sedan.” But, overall my skills are growing and we are eating better than ever.
Over these last few years my Chipotle Burrito Bowl Make Ahead Lunches and The Green Shakshuka Experiment posts have tied for the most number of ‘views’ from you all.
Also, I never thought I’d get as into the photography side of the blog but over time my pictures have gotten better and better! Some of my favorite pics are my carnitas hash, bruschetta, lemon parsley fish cakes, a pesto and pepper frittata, salmon and avocado salsa, and a batch of stuffed mushrooms.
Cheers! And a huge thank you to all of you who share your tips and ideas here and who inspire me through your own cooking.
- 1 pound of Brussels sprouts
- 2 pieces of bacon (or more if you are feeling feisty)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Thick balsamic syrup
Steps and Notes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Trim the ends off the sprouts and then cut in half. Keep the leaves that fall off.
- Cut the bacon into 1/4 inch slices
- Prepare a sheet pan and spread the halved brussels out evenly along with the extra leaves.
- Add the bacon then season generously with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything with your hands and spread evenly across the pan
- Roast for 20 minutes until the veggies are “crisp and browned”
- Note: Ina suggests tossing once mid roast but I forget this step and they were still delicious
- Drizzle with the balsamic syrup when warm and toss gently. Serve immediately
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Toss with some quinoa for a simple salad
- Serve with salmon
- Add a touch of crushed red pepper for heat (I think I say this in 90% of my thoughts for next time)
Nice and tasty recipe 🙂
Happy second blog birthday and a great collection of shots to celebrate!
[…] years ago I was learning to make comfort food, last year I worked on my photography, and now, as I enter year 4 of the blog I’m on the hunt for […]