I’ve written before about how important it is to me to cook for friends during times of need and the gratitude I hold for those that supported me in this way after mom died. Unfortunately we are in this position again as we mourn the loss of our beloved Q’s father. While nothing cures the depth of emotions that accompany the grieving process, a freezer filled with easy-to-prepare meals sure does take one thing off of your plate.
The measurements noted in the recipe below are approximations as there were 4 of us in the kitchen and we each gracefully worked in circles around one another stirring, tasting, and adjusting flavors throughout the night as the soup simmered. In the end, we filled four tupperwares of hearty minestrone that we delivered along with a package of uncooked orzo. What are your thoughts or experiences on freezing cooked pasta? What are your go-to freezer meals?
Sending all of the love to the Q family as they grapple with the loss of their dad. Know that you are loved and that we are all here for you – always.
- 1 onion – diced
- 4 stalks of celery – chopped
- 4 carrots – chopped
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 1 squash
- 1 zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (28oz)
- 1 can of white kidney beans (15 oz)
- Italian seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, garlic salt, parsley
- Orzo (optional)
Steps and Notes:
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Place the chopped zucchini and squash on a baking sheet with olive oil and salt. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or so – until the veggies have a nice roasted char
- In a medium soup pot, saute the onions, celery and carrots for 3-4 minutes on medium until sot. Add a pinch of salt to season.
- Add the stock to the pot and then the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and white beans.
- Taste, season, taste, and season using italian seasonings.
- Add the roasted vegetables at the end.
- Add chicken broth as necessary to adjust the thickness.
- Serve with a bit of cooked orzo and topped with shaved parmesan cheese
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Add mushrooms to the roasting veggie mixture like the Pioneer Woman in her roasted veggie minestrone
- Incorporate green beans into the soup