September is here! Back to school, back to making weekly lunches on Sunday, back to finding a routine that is intentional and fulfilling.
As this summer comes to a close it is striking to step back and reflect on all of change that occurred in only a few months. It has felt as though everything is in flux. From the micro level of my own health roller coasters all the way up to the the intense state of our world and planet. That said, while September typically comes with a feeling of back to work dread (insert rant about how much we as teachers DO indeed deserve our summers), this year I am appreciating the sense of familiarity and routine that it brings.
These chipotle chicken burrito bowls are inspired by a meal prep recipe I found on Damn Delicious. I’ve made Chipotle Burrito Bowls for dinner before but my first recipe used chicken breast sauteed in adobo sauce as well as quinoa for the grain. Today I was eager to make this variation which utilizes ground chicken sauteed in spices topped with a yogurt chipotle lime cream sauce dressing. Bowls like this have endless potential. Had I been in a hurry I could have opened the pantry and added beans, corn, and rice straight off the shelf. But, in the spirit of enjoying every last summer moment I instead spent the afternoon gussying up each element at a slow pace.
For the black beans I was inspired by beans my new brother-in-law made for their backyard wedding pig roast this weekend. The beans! I’m still dreaming about his beans that were cooked with onions, garlic, ham hock and other delicious flavors. I also roasted some spicy-sweet corn and added a layer of farro and spinach to each bowl. Not pictured here is the avocado I cut each morning and then the delicious dressing (which I packed on the side). One thing I learned through this process was how versatile adobo chilis can be. I’ve cooked with the sauce a bunch in the past (often marinating chicken thighs before grilling), but I’ve never diced up the pepper as with this sauce. I love learning new tricks.
Happy New Year to my fellow teachers!
- 13 oz can of black beans
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 16 oz dried farro
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 lbs of ground chicken
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 7oz container of plain greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- 1/4 red onion – minced
- 1 avocado
Steps and Notes:
- Drain the can of black beans
- Place the beans in a covered pot and add two cloves of minced garlic, a few dashes of cumin, salt, pepper, and one shake of crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour.
- Rinse the farro
- Simmer in chicken broth (or water with a bouillon cube) covered for 20 minutes then uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside
- Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, onion powder, paprika salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Saute the chicken on medium heat using a wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Sprinkle the spices on each side evenly, continuing to mix.
- Add 3 tablespoons of adobo sauce and 1 tablespoon of water
- Once the chicken is cooked adjust seasoning as needed.
- Drain and remove from pan.
- In the pan used to cook the chicken saute the corn for 2-3 minutes with a drop of oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Mince 2 chipotle peppers and place them into the yogurt
- Add 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice and 1 clove of diced garlic
- Add 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce
- Mix well and adjust to taste
- Layer each bowl in glass containers (best for lunch reheating) with the spinach on the side for easy removal. Top with additional toppings such as pico de gallo, minced red onion, guacamole, jalapeno, and whatever else tickles your fancy!
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Top with queso fresco! I keep forgetting this when I am at the store!
- I’d use romaine or a crunchier green next time.
[…] these last few years my Chipotle Burrito Bowl Make Ahead Lunches and The Green Shakshuka Experiment posts have tied for the most number of ‘views’ from you […]
[…] I’ve made a chipotle burrito bowl and I am so excited to have this new BBQ Chicken Grain Bowl in the mix. The dish was filled with […]
[…] changing that up every now and then. Some of my favorite stand-out lunches have included chipotle chicken burrito bowls, curried lentils, and a BBQ chicken grain […]
[…] 2017 – Chipotle chicken burrito bowl […]